So, Ive been working on a few ideas for a white girls bedroom. (Hate the way that sounds, its a white bedroom for a girl, not a bedroom for a white girl. You know that, right?) Several ideas, actually.
Theres no one right way to do a white room, but there are definitely some general guidelines Ive figured out as Ive gone through this process. No matter which style of white room youre planning on, here are a few tips to help you reach success.
- Neatness counts. But its not the messy of chocolate on the comforter you need to worry about. Think storage and lots of it. With a white room, any kind of clutter is going to throw the look off. (Got a messy child? Rethink your choice of theme.)
- White or white? Not all whites are created equal. Decide early if you want a mix of white shades or a straight, pure white.
- Accent. It might be a white bedroom, but you can still toss in an accent color. It serves to set off the white and keep the room from feeling sterile. It can be a soft color like baby pink or a bold shade like lime. Just remember its the second banana.
- Details count. Again, we want to avoid a sterile feel so details help break things up and keep the room from being too one-note. White is the one color that you can completely overdo. Layer up everything; you cant add too much detail and texture.
- Match with metallics. If you dont want to bring in an accent color, try adding in some metals. Silver is great with sleek and modern looks, copper or gold with warm and soft.
- Create a focal point. When everythings the same color, its hard to know where to look. Whether through texture or scale or color, give them a place to look first. A wow bed is a good choice and it doesnt have to be white. It can be metal or dark as contrast or just over-sized.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, probably enough to get a stick of gum. I generally only recommend products or services on this blog that I would use personally and believe you will find cool as well. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions 16 CFR, Part 255: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.